Cooper Library at Johnson’s Park

About Cooper Library in Johnson Park:

Cooper Library in Johnson Park is located in the Cooper Grant section of Camden, New Jersey. Local inventor and philanthropist Eldridge R. Johnson, founder of the Victor Talking Machine Company, donated the Neo-Classical Cooper Library and the surrounding Johnson Park to the city of Camden. Built between 1914 and 1930, the park occupies an entire block near Camden’s waterfront. When it opened in 1918, the site became Southern New Jersey’s foremost cultural center. Today, the library houses the Walt Whitman Cultural Arts Center and is owned by Rutgers University–Camden. Johnson commissioned D’Ascenzo Studios of Philadelphia to design and produce the magnificent frieze at the Library and the beautiful stained glass window, the “Nipper” window, in the RCA-Victor building in Camden, New Jersey. The frieze extends clear across the front of the building for a distance of seventy feet, and is made of over 100,000 pieces of richly-colored American opalescent glass. The library was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

Contact Information:

Contact Name, Title
Email | 856-225-6026